Prime Photonics manufactures the widest selection of optical sensors available today for high temperature applications such as optical blade tip timing and optical clearance measurement.
FOCISTM probes are operational in high temperature environments. They are a superior option for vibratory stress analysis using non-intrusive stress measurement system (NSMS) techniques.
FOCIS™ unlensed sensors are optical probes used for non-contact blade vibration measurements on rotor blades and blisks/IBRs, flutter detection, crack and damage detection, and speed measurement. Some of our unlensed probes can withstand temperatures up to 700 deg C (1300 F) uncooled.
Picture Above: Unlensed Probe
Our optical sensors typically consist of a hypo tube rated for high temperatures, followed by a flexible cable and a splitter which goes to the send and receive connectors.
Below are a few unlensed probes which can be purchased by part number directly:
|Number of fibers||2 fibers (1 send and 1 receive)||2 fibers (1 send and 1 receive)||2 fibers (1 send and 1 receive)||2 fibers (1 send and 1 receive)|
|Fiber core size||200 microns||200 microns||105 micron send / 200 micron receive||105 micron send / 200 micron receive|
|Total length||118” (3 m)||118” (3 m)||10 m||10 m|
|Hypo Tube Diameter||3/32” (2.4 mm)||3/32” (2.4 mm)||1/16" (1.6 mm)||3/32” (2.4 mm)|
|Hypo Tube Length||6” (15 cm)||19” (50 cm)||2 m||87" (2.2 m)|
|Temperature Rating||175 F (80 C)||840 F (450 C) for the first 2 meters (up to the bifurcation)||1200 F (650 C) for the first 800 mm||1100 F (590 C) for the first 2 m|
Any of these optical probes can also be customized.
For a much wider selection of probes, as well as for custom probes, please Contact Us directly.
Lensed sensors are superior optical probes which use a lens to focus the light beam. They are primarily used to provide all optical measurement of casing-to-rotor blade tip clearance and can be configured to make displacement measurements in many other rotating equipment applications. They can withstand prolonged exposure to 590 deg C (1100 F) uncooled. Higher temperatures are possible with cooled probes which feature internal cooling channels.
Picture Above: Standard Lensed Probe
Lensed Probes Data Sheet (pdf)
Low Profile, Right Angle Probes
Right angle probes are designed for installation in tight spaces with very little space above the probe head for installation and removal. They consist of a short head and a hard line exiting the head at a 90 degree angle.
Picture Above: Right Angle Probe
Periscope probes are inserted in the gas path, downstream or upstream of blades, and pointed at the trailing edge or at the leading edge of the blades. These optical sensors allow measurement of tip timing on shrouded blades and other conditions which prevent access to the tip of each blade.
Picture Above: Periscope Probe
Beam breakers work as a pitch / catch arrangement with two separate probes, one for sending the optical signal and one for receiving the signal.
Beam Breaker Data Sheet (pdf)
Advantages of FOCISTM Optical Sensors
Advantages of FOCIS™ tip timing & clearance probes include:
- High temperature
- Immune to electrical noise or EMI
- Clean signal from FOCIS™ SIU that requires minimum signal processing
- Pulse width insensitive
- Small engine casing penetration, typically 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) diameter for lensed probes and as small as 1.6 mm (.06 inch) diameter for unlensed probes
- High spatial resolution of lensed probe design
- Robust windowed probe face allows for cleaning and re-use of probes
- Compatible with both metallic and non-metallic blades
- Self-compensating for variations in engine speed
- Resolution vs. range configurable
- High resolution
When coupled with Prime Photonics Instrumentation (Sensor Interface Unit):
- Allows resampling of data to nearly uniform phase angle
- Automatic noise reduction at lower speeds through sample aggregation
- Hunting: When confidence is low, rapidly adjust timing to find blade frequency
- Typically achieves lock within the first 20 blades
- Will maintain lock with blade passing frequency changes of up to 33% per blade
Prime Photonics offers a variety of standard probes for the most typical applications, but most probes must be customized. Whether simply adding a custom flange or designing an entirely new probe, Prime Photonics offers complete design and manufacturing capabilities to each customer's specifications.
The following parameters are important when contacting Prime Photonics for a custom probe:
- Temperature: maximum temperature of the probe
- Cable type: rigid or flexible cable exiting the probe head. A combination of rigid and flexible is available.
- Cable length and diameter
- Connectors: FC, ST, and SMA connectors are standard. We can accommodate custom requests for other connector types.
- Purge gas option: optional purge gas fitting for probe cooling or cleaning is available
Prime Photonics also provides specialty manufacturing services for customer-designed probes. Our extensive knowledge of probe design for high temperatures allows us to provide feedback and recommend improvement to customer designs as necessary. Our ISO9001 certification ensures the highest standards in probe quality through rigorous manufacturing processes and thorough checkout testing.